Saturday, June 25, 2011

A rainy Saturday morning.

Psalm 40:1-3
"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him."

Yesterday when I was at my language lessons my teacher, Olga, said something that was saddening. She asked me (in Romanian) how I thought the people in Moldova felt. I said they were happy. Before I could finish the rest of my sentence her face became sad and she said, "No, no they aren't." I stopped abruptly and just looked at her. My thoughts and emotions were a bit caught off guard. I have heard from other Moldovans that they don't like where they live and they don't have patriotism at.all. Olga continued to tell me that the people in Moldova don't know how to have hope. The people are constantly jealous and envious of those around them.
It made my heart heavy. This woman that I have grown close to in a friendship, who loves her country and wants to best for it, knows that her people are unhappy. That looks so different to us Westerners who think that if you are unhappy, change something about your life so that you are. Why not change if it benefits you? Olga asked me. We came up with that some people are used to a generational cycle of poverty, apathy, poor education (if any), and lack of knowledge about the environment around them.
Be praying with us for the people in Moldova to find joy and happiness and faith and trust in Christ.